Monday, May 19, 2008

Jesus said, "Whoever does not hate father and mother cannot be my disciple, and whoever does not hate brothers and sisters, and carry the cross as I do, will not be worthy of me." (55 Thomas)

Each of the synoptic gospels include a very similar saying. The most extensive treatment is found in Luke 14:25-33 .

Jesus encourages us to clear, consistent, and meaningful priorities. What is my purpose? What is the current context for achieving my purpose? What are my capabilities for achieving this purpose in the current context?

Context and capability may change. Jesus is urging us to persist in purpose. More than this, Jesus is urging us to join him in choosing God's purpose.

Too often I am satisfied with a melange of hopes, dreams, and vague possibilities. I fail to choose. Because I have not made a clear choice, I am easily distracted. I seldom choose evil. But with no clear purpose I wander from one indulgence to another.

The outcome is also vague. Jesus calls us to clarity, purpose, and power as co-creators of God's reign.

No comments: