Sunday, May 25, 2008

Jesus said, "Two will recline on a couch; one will die, one will live." Salome said, "Who are you, mister? You have climbed onto my couch and eaten from my table as if you are from someone." Jesus said to her, "I am the one who comes from what is whole. I was granted from the things of my Father." "I am your disciple." " For this reason I say, if one is (whole), one will be filled with light, but if one is divided, one will be filled with darkness." (61 Thomas)

A more literal translation of the Coptic has Jesus saying, "I am he-who-exists out of-he-who is equal or fully integrated or whole.

Whole - the Greek is holos - is all, completely, entire, full, throughout. Jesus is quoted as using holos when he quotes scripture: "And you shall love the Lord your God will all your heart, and will all your soul, and will all your mind, and with all your strength."

The Shema quoted by Jesus is from Deuteronomy 6:5. Here the Hebrew for all or whole is kol which also means totality, everything, anything, completely, and continually.

We are called to wholeness. We are called to God. Jesus comes from what is whole. So do we. We are to return and in returning complete ourselves.

Does our return also complete God?

No comments: