Friday, May 23, 2008



Jesus said, "Look to the living one as long as you live, otherwise you might die and then try to see the living one, and you will be unable to see." (59 Thomas)

What is our purpose? What is our goal? Maintaining our focus is critically important. We must keep our eye, ear, and every effort aimed at the source and meaning of life.

Last evening I began a little book written in 1927. The author insists that in all we are and do we are able to advance God's reign.

"Each one of our works, by its more or less remote or direct repercussion upon the spiritual world, contributes to perfect Christ in His mystical totality... In fact, through the unceasing operation of the Incarnation, the divine so thoroughly permeates all our creaturely energies that, in order to encounter and embrace it, we could not find a more appropriate milieu than that of our action."

"To begin with, in action I cleave to the creative power of God; I co-incide with it; I become not only its instrument but its living prolongation. And since there is nothing more personal in a being that its will, I merge myself, in a sense, through my heart, with the very heart of God. This contact is continuous because I am always acting; and at the same time, since I can never find a limit to the perfection of my fidelity or the fervour of my intention, it enables me to assimilate myself still my narrowly, and indefinately, to God." (The Divine Milieu by Pierre Teilhard de Chardin)

Teilhard argues that this can be true of all action, no matter how otherwise practical or humble. No action need be - should be - perfunctory. All action can work to advance God's intention.

I have just started the book, but it is my impression the author perceives that sanctifcation of our activities is not just possible, but assured if we will keep looking at the living one.

Above is a window featuring an architect's square, symbol of the Apostle Thomas, emblematic of how our earthly work can advance heavenly purpose.

No comments: