Friday, May 2, 2008



Jesus said, "Often you have desired to hear these sayings that I am speaking to you, and you have no one else from whom to hear them. There will be days when you will seek me and you will not find me." (38 Thomas)

We have also been told, "seek and you will find, knock and the it will be opened unto you." (Matthew 7:7)

Yet despite deep desire and sincere seeking we are sometimes separated from Jesus. We cannot hear him. We cannot find him.

In my own life such separation has, so far, been the result of my own choice. Jesus and I have been walking along when suddenly I turn a different way. I have left him, he has not left me.

We know too of saintly men and women who, despite remaining on the same path, tell of a painful separation that can last for years.

I suspect the seeming absense of Jesus depends on what aspect of Jesus we are seeking. If I am looking for sympathy, I may not perceive the gift of accountability... or the reverse.

The closest canonical parallel is John 7:32-36. Above is Thomas encountering the risen Christ from the church of St. George the Victorious in Edmonton, Canada.

No comments: