Monday, April 7, 2008

Jesus said to his disciples, "Compare me to something and tell me what I am like." Simon Peter said to him, "You are like a just messenger." Matthew said to him, "You are like a wise philosopher." Thomas said to him, "Teacher, my mouth is utterly unable to say what you are like." Jesus said, "I am not your teacher. Because you have drunk, you have become intoxicated from the bubbling spring that I have tended." And he took him, and withdrew, and spoke three sayings to him. When Thomas came back to his friends they asked him, "What did Jesus say to you?" Thomas said to them, "If I tell you one of the sayings he spoke to me, you will pick up rocks and stone me, and fire will come from the rocks and devour you." (13 Thomas)

Like the eager student in the front row I know the right answer, Jesus is the Son of God redeemer of mankind.

But what does this "right answer" mean?

Too often I treat Jesus as a messenger. He has delivered an interesting policy and strategy report from headquarters. I think about what it might mean for my local plans.

Even more often I treat Jesus as a philosopher. In his words and examples I look for clues to how I might make better, wiser, more successful decisions.

Certainly I treat Jesus as a teacher. I am ready to learn how to better advance my goals and fulfill my needs.

Very seldom do I seriously consider that Jesus is my savior and the savior of the world. Very seldom will I even admit to being lost, much less needing to be saved.

I have a vague recollection of a comedy sketch: A very proper, entirely self-composed, Englishman is slowly sinking into quicksand. A young man comes by and offers a branch by which to pull the man to safety.

"Many thanks," says the man. "But really, I'm quite fine. Not a problem." And so he continues as he sinks lower and lower until we see nothing but the top of his black bowler.

It is hard to save one who will not recognize the danger. May I - may each of us - be sufficiently aware of our urgent need to reach out a hand to our savior.

It is interesting to compare this verse of Thomas to similar exchanges in Mark, Matthew, and Luke.

No comments: