Tuesday, April 29, 2008



Jesus said, "One can't enter a strong person's house and take it by force without tying his hands. Then one can loot his house. (35 Thomas)

With whom are we to identify, the householder or the looter? On the face of it this saying would seem to be an instruction to looting.

If so, what is the spiritual analogy?

Perhaps, we are both householder and looter. I am both proud and humble, angry and loving, sinner and saintly. Pride, anger, and sin often seem the stronger.

I seek to reclaim myself.

To be successful I must restrain the strength that will resist my efforts. Pride, anger, and so much more must be tied down, at least long enough for gathering up the self God intended.

The synoptic parallels are Mark 3:27, Matthew 12:29, and Luke 11:21. Above is Thomas the Apostle by Valazquez.

No comments: