Saturday, April 26, 2008




Jesus said, "A city being built on a high mountain and fortified cannot fall, nor can it be hidden." (32 Thomas)

Which is better to be fortified or hidden?

If my priority is simply security, I should almost certainly choose to be hidden. For a few contemplatives or a small group of bandits a hiding place will provide a helpful escape.

But if we seek to share our faith or spend our wealth to be in hiding is counterproductive.

If my priority is to attract, enjoy, influence and be influenced by others then I must come out of hiding. If I choose to be in and among the world I will be attacked. I will attract and often express envy, anger, and evil.

I can choose the high ground and I can fortify myself. Such strong-places are more often betrayed than forced. So, I may not fall. But I will be attacked. I will from time to time be under siege.

In Matthew's gospel Jesus tells us, "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hid." (Matthew 5:14) We are to choose the vulnerabilities and opportunities of the high places.

According to the Gospel of John after the crucifixion the disciples were gathered in hiding, "for fear of the Jews", when Jesus appeared to them. Eight days later, still fearfully hidden, "Jesus came and stood among them" and this is when Thomas encountered the risen Christ. Above is a rendering of that scene. The background may suggest a path from the hiding place to a fortified hill.

No comments: