Friday, April 4, 2008

Jesus said, "I have cast fire upon the world, and look, I'm guarding it until it blazes." (10 Thomas)

Luke includes a similar - but crucially different - saying, "I came to bring fire to the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled!" (Luke 12: 49).

Forty years ago today Martin Luther King - a spark of divine fire - was assassinated in Memphis. But the fire was not extinguished.

King stood in a great line of fire-keepers, co-custodians of the fire Jesus cast. King received from Gandhi, Gandhi received from Tolstoy, Tolstoy received from William Lloyd Garrison, and so the cleansing flame had been passed from Jesus over many generations.

Each joined Jesus in guarding the fire and sharing it with others. Some of us benefit from the light and warmth of their effort, but do not - yet - join them in guarding and spreading the fire.

Dear God, if it be your will, allow me to receive the fire that Jesus cast. Help me to guard it. Show me where and how it might blaze.

No comments: