Friday, July 4, 2008



"Whoever does not hate [father] and mother as I do cannot be my [disciple], and whoever does [not] love [father and] mother as I do cannot be my [disciple]. For my mother [. . .], but my true [mother] gave me life." (101 Thomas)

What is it to hate? What is it to love?

More to the point: How did Jesus hate and how did he love?

The Greek for hate is miseo. In the four gospels Jesus is quoted twenty-one times speaking this word. Most of the quotes warn his followers they will be hated by others or explain why Jesus is hated.

Jesus encourages hate only in the parallel versions of the saying above. Here is how Luke renders it: "If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple." (Luke 14:26)

Several Greek words are used for love. Jesus speaks of agapao forty-eight times. He speaks of agape on eight occasions. Jesus discusses phileo in seventeen verses. Here is what he says in Luke 6:27, "But I say to you who hear, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you."

Clearly love is the more prominent and favored act.

Hate is endorsed only for what would separate us from God.

Above is an early 19th Century Russian icon of Thomas encountering the risen Jesus.

No comments: