Thursday, July 10, 2008



Jesus said, The (Father's) imperial rule is like a shepherd who had a hundred sheep. One of them, the largest, went astray. He left the ninetynine and looked for the one until he found it. After he had toiled, he said to the sheep, "I love you more than the ninetynine." (107 Thomas)

The toil expended to recover that which is lost binds us to what we are seeking. Whether we find it or not, our relationship with it is deepened.

It is a mistake to suppose the shepherd held the biggest sheep in any special regard before it went astray. A more helpful insight is that no matter how "big" we may be, we can lose ourselves. Nor was it the going astray that prompted the love. The first reaction was more likely concern or annoyance. But the toil of seeking, rewarded by recovery, has distinguished this big loser from the many others in the heart and mind of the shepherd.

Increasingly I give thanks for my flaws and failures. They encourage self-criticism and impel me to seek God. I am encouraged by Jesus' assurance that God is seeking after me, working with me, and will receive me with particular love when I am found.

The synoptic parallels are Luke 15:3-7 and Matthew 18:12-14.

Above is a 17th Century depiction of Thomas and the risen Jesus by Gerard van Honthorst.

No comments: