Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Jesus said, "If you bring forth what is within you, what you have will save you. If you do not have that within you, what you do not have within you [will] kill you." (70 Thomas)

What is within? I am reminded of Jesus explaining in Luke 17:21, "In fact the kingdom of God is within you."

A scholar named Doresse has translated saying 70 as, "Jesus says: "When you have something left to share among you, what you possess will save you. But if you cannot share [among you], that which you have not among you, that [ ... ? ... will ...] you.

The passage from Luke can also be translated as, "In fact the kingdom of God is among you."

Which is it, among or within? One word suggests the single contemplative, the other points to the community of faith.

If the kingdom of God is within me then surely it is also within you and all of us. If I do not recognize it in you, have I really found it within me?

No comments: