Tuesday, June 10, 2008



Jesus said, "I am the light that is over all things. I am all: from me all came forth, and to me all attained. Split a piece of wood; I am there. Lift up the stone, and you will find me there." (77 Thomas)

Most scholars argue this is not an authentic saying of Jesus. It is viewed as atypically self-laudatory and typically Gnostic and pantheistic.

It reminds me of the opening to the Gospel of John, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through him, and without him not one thing came into being. What has come into being in him was life, and the life was the light of all people. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it."

The distinction between pantheism (bad) and immanence (good) can be too subtle for me.

The stone is not God, but I can find God in the sparkling and persistent crystals. The wood is not God, but in its veins and texture I may perceive the hand of God.

God is with us. God is within us. God is about us. God is the creator of all. In God's creation we can discern the patterns and principles to which our creator calls us. God created and saw that it was good. May we also see.

While scholars do not accept it as a parallel, it is also worth comparing 77 Thomas to John 8:12. Above is a mosaic of the Apostle Thomas by Studio Icona.

No comments: