Wednesday, June 4, 2008



Jesus said, "I will destroy [this] house, and no one will be able to build it [. . .]." (71 Thomas)

This is an unfinished fragment of a saying preserved without context. There is a scholarly consensus that the "house" is the Jerusalem temple.

Sunday's gospel spoke of another house: "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash." (Matthew 7:24-27)

Sometimes I am sure that Jesus is destroying my house. One brick at a time, he is bring down the walls of pride and self-satisfaction, fear and self-assertion that I have erected.

Is Jesus moving my house from the sand to the rock? Or is he giving me the chance to build a different house? Or is he preparing me to live house-less?

I don't know, it is not finished.

Above is a statue of St. Thomas the Apostle, perhaps from the Vatican.

No comments: