Monday, June 23, 2008

Jesus said, "Come to me, for my yoke is comfortable and my lordship is gentle, and you will find rest for yourselves." (90 Thomas)

There is an echo of Matthew's gospel and also of Sirach's book of wisdom.

In Matthew we read, "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

In Sirach we read, "Put your neck under her (wisdom's) yoke, and let your souls receive instruction; it is to be found close by. See with your own eyes that I have laboured but little and found for myself much serenity."

A yoke is a wooden crosspiece used to guide a pair of oxen. It is always a pair. Yoke derives from the ancient sanskrit meaning team. It has the same origin as yoga.

Are we invited to yoke ourselves to Jesus? Rather than Jesus running the yoked team, does Jesus join us in the yoke?

No comments: